Foorumit

kiekko finnish
Created by: Anonymous Created on: 2019-02-19 11:33:58 Read times: 1236
Anonymous

Date: 2019-02-19 11:33:59
Edited: 2019-02-20 01:33:32
kiekko finnish for non finns

moi/moro/mo/m: hello/hi (sometimes also used for bye?)
(ma) oon: i am/im
oot: you are/youre
joo/jee/jes/jep/jeah/j: yes
ei/e: no
no: so
hyva/hyvaa: good/nice
kiitos/kiiti/kts: thanks
mees/mee: leave (often accompanied with profanity)
aina/ain: always
aintg: always scores
pakki/pak/paQ: defense
vr: cover
tee/T: score
ei tee/eitee/eiT: you dont score
kiiC: catch
munkki/munQ: luck
melG: close
reps: expression of laughter
novi: novice
begu: beginner
passpeli: please pass
lag/lagaa: lag (usually used as an excuse for making a mistake)
vittu (or other spellings to bypass censor): f word
haista vittu: f off (a more forceful way to say leave)
homo: gay/homo
perkele: hell/satan
huoh/huuh/huh: expression of bewilderment/confusion
pls: please (mostly used as an expression of frustration and not as a modifer to make a request polite)
lol: expression of amusement
:D/xD/xD: expression of amusement (more Ds indicate greater level of amusement)
oe/oeoeoeoeoe...: expression of happiness when scoring
hasek: expression to indicate the goalie made a good save (usually used as an excuse for not scoring and sometimes substituted with another goalie like pekka rinne)
Firmino
Liverpool Liverbirds

Date: 2019-02-19 13:42:40
tab wrote:
hi

as one of the few non finnish players playing kiekko i already have to deal with the disadvantage of high ping and so im trying ensure that communication isnt too much of a disadvantage on top of that

i have picked up a little of kiekko finnish while playing and i just want some help in being able to understand the most common expressions so i can do something in response to to them (or ignore them as appropriate)

the ones with * are the ones i dont think ive yet got and please add any others i missed

thank you

(sorry for not having diacritics on the vowels i dont have a keyboard that easily does that)

*melG: expression of sadness or frustration?
*reps: ?
*perkele: expression of profanity?
)

Hey mate, I'll help you out with these three meanings:

so Melg (from the word: melkein) basically means close
reps just means laughter and perkele is one of our finns favourite words :D which means shit
Mythology
Stuffed Animals

Date: 2019-02-19 22:06:56
Firmino wrote:
tab wrote:
hi

as one of the few non finnish players playing kiekko i already have to deal with the disadvantage of high ping and so im trying ensure that communication isnt too much of a disadvantage on top of that

i have picked up a little of kiekko finnish while playing and i just want some help in being able to understand the most common expressions so i can do something in response to to them (or ignore them as appropriate)

the ones with * are the ones i dont think ive yet got and please add any others i missed

thank you

(sorry for not having diacritics on the vowels i dont have a keyboard that easily does that)

)

reps just means laughter and perkele is one of our finns favourite words :D which means shit

but perkele means satan?
Firmino
Liverpool Liverbirds

Date: 2019-02-21 15:14:59
Mythology wrote:
Firmino wrote:
tab wrote:
hi

thank you

)

but perkele means satan?

ah yes true :D it's also a popular Finnish profanity
Mainos

Created by: Anonymous Created on: 2019-02-19 11:33:58 Read times: 1236